Swindled by Nigerian? Apply for compensation now!

I’ve been getting tons of spam in my spam folder ever since I nearly got scammed a couple of weeks ago. I usually delete spam immediately but this one was just too audacious. It’s a royal meta-scam, this one. The mail was titled: Swindled by Nigerian? Apply for compensation now!

———————————————————————

Ministry of Foreign Affairs Federal Republic of Nigeria
Maputo Street
off Abidjan Street
Wuse Zone 3,
P.M.B. 130, Garki
Abuja.

Our Ref: FGN/WB/MFA/CitiBank/2011 (1/1)

Dear Sir/Madam

This is to announce to you that the Federal Government of Nigeria supported by the World Bank Group and International Monetary Fund (IMF) have allocated $50.000 each for every scam victims for monetary loss and damages.

The compensation funds were deposited at Citibank Nigeria (CN) and the funds will be transferred free of charge by Citibank Nigeria (CN) as instructed by the Federal Government of Nigeria so you do not need to pay any transfer fee or tax of any kind and the transfer will also be monitored by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for confirmation reasons. The funds have been insured to avoid unnecessary deductions until they get to their various destinations.

Take note that we have never held any scam victims compensation program in Nigeria. This is the First-Of-Its-Kind. Do not be deceived by anybody, any organization or any Ministry!

If you have been scammed send your NAME and ADDRESS for verification to any of the two (2) email addresses listed below, the email addresses are set up by Citibank Nigeria (CN) for this compensation purpose only:

Email1:   [email protected]
Email2:   [email protected]

***The means of verification is via Western Union and MoneyGram, if truly you have sent money to Nigeria your name will be in their database***

Please do not respond to any email which asks you to send your username and password for any reason, if you have already done that kindly change your password immediately.

Yours sincerely,
Mrs. Irewolede Janet Michael
(Public Relations Officer)
Oversea Communication Department
Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA), Nigeria.

———————————————————————

I don’t whether I should laugh or cry. The .cn domain is of course not Citibank Nigeria, it’s China. Do people ever use Western Union for anything that is not illegal? During my entire life online I have only ever seen Western Union mentioned in combination with scammers. I really don’t know how they stay in business.

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged | 11 Comments

11 Responses to Swindled by Nigerian? Apply for compensation now!

1. Zai says:

Yes, real people do use WU, usually to help out a relative or friend who needs cash ASAP for whatever reason when they can’t wait for the mail. The fees are about 10% of whatever you send, though, so it’s really expensive and not something you should do regularly. US Mail is a lot less expensive provided you don’t have problems with mail theft.

2. megan says:

I used craigs list to sell my droid x. The person said she’d give me an extra $100 to ship it to Nigeria..I should have known. She said she wanted to use pay pal and that I would have to ship it before the payment would transfer. I sent the routing numbers and she sent me a fake “pay pal” your money is secure email. I called pay pal after it had been 48 hrs and they told me it wasn’t really them who’d sent the email. Once I read it aloud I knew, because there were errors in spelling and grammer. I called the post office and went down to fill out a recall form but unless I get it back tomorrow, it was too late. It left the US 10 minutes before the recall was faxed. It cost me only $32 to ship but the phone and accessories were well worth $250+ that I don’t believe I’ll be getting back!!! I filed a report with the FTC and the local police. I have all the information including the cell phone number the buyer used to text with me. She said she was “deaf” so I couldn’t really call. All the signs were there I wish I would have seen them!!

• dmk says:

OMG @megan, I had a similar experience! A guy totally called me on the phone and asked me to put all my valuables into a bag and leave them outside my door, and he would totally give me a fair price for them later! I went ahead and did it and it’s been three months now and I still haven’t heard from him! Also, we had sex but he said he loved me.

3. mr x says:

@megan you are really dumb.

• GW says:

@ mr x

And you’re an asshole.

@ article

I’m unpleasantly surprised at how the scammers are changing tactics.

4. lol says:

Not to sound like an asshole, but @megan is really dumb.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

5. Pingback: 8 Unusual Must-Reads for Monday Morning - getfinancestocks.info

6. Judith Rogers says:

I do received an email about this huge amount of money to be compensated for the victims..
    These are the info that they sent:
    Telephone #+2348157659668
    Mr. Anthony Carmelo
    Manager/Head Of Compensation

Senders Name: Patricia Lewis
    Mtcn:8330101111
    Cindy Clara
    Dear Customer

You are receiving this email because you have been enlisted as one of those
    to be compensated by the Nigerian Government. The Nigerian Government is
    compensating you because your name was enlisted among those who were
    defrauded by the Nigerian Citizens. You are to receive a total sum of
    1,000.000.00 (Two Million British Pounds Sterling).

You are to receive $10,000.00 USD in an installment of $3,500.00 USD Through
    WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER daily and the balance will be transferred to
    your account through the GT Bank UK Ltd.

We have sent you three emails containing the information for pick up, since
    the last two weeks but we did not get any reply from you, hence we are
    sending you this final notification and to let you know that the transaction
    has been deactivated and as such it needs to be reactivated before you can
    access the first payment.

This email contains the senders name and also the MTCN. Put this information
    down and immediately contact Anthony Carmelo on how to get the transaction
    reactivated with a New MTCN number so you can immediately rush down to the
    nearest western union agent to pick up the first payment.

Call or email me with the below details immediately you pick up this first
    payment.

Telephone: +2348157659668
    Mr. Anthony Carmelo
    Manager/Head Of Compensation

Here is the information for the first $3500.00 USD

Senders Name: Patricia Lewis
    Mtcn: 833 010 1111
    Question: Pick
    Answer: Up
    Amount: $3500.00 USD

I am waiting for your call or email once you pick up the $3500.00 USD

Cindy Clara
    Western Union Notification Dept (Nigeria)

Dear Customer

You are receiving this email because you have been enlisted as one of those
    to be compensated by the Nigerian Government. The Nigerian Government is
    compensating you because your name was enlisted among those who were
    defrauded by the Nigerian Citizens. You are to receive a total sum of
    1,000.000.00 (Two Million British Pounds Sterling).

You are to receive $10,000.00 USD in an installment of $3,500.00 USD Through
    WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER daily and the balance will be transferred to
    your account through the GT Bank UK Ltd.

We have sent you three emails containing the information for pick up, since
    the last two weeks but we did not get any reply from you, hence we are
    sending you this final notification and to let you know that the transaction
    has been deactivated and as such it needs to be reactivated before you can
    access the first payment.

This email contains the senders name and also the MTCN. Put this information
    down and immediately contact Anthony Carmelo on how to get the transaction
    reactivated with a New MTCN number so you can immediately rush down to the
    nearest western union agent to pick up the first payment.

Call or email me with the below details immediately you pick up this first
    payment.

Telephone: +2348157659668
    Mr. Anthony Carmelo
    Manager/Head Of Compensation

Here is the information for the first $3500.00 USD

Senders Name: Patricia Lewis
    Mtcn: 833 010 1111
    Question: Pick
    Answer: Up
    Amount: $3500.00 USD

I am waiting for your call or email once you pick up the $3500.00 USD

Cindy Clara
    Western Union Notification Dept (Nigeria)
    Dear Customer

You are receiving this email because you have been enlisted as one of those
    to be compensated by the Nigerian Government. The Nigerian Government is
    compensating you because your name was enlisted among those who were
    defrauded by the Nigerian Citizens. You are to receive a total sum of
    1,000.000.00 (Two Million British Pounds Sterling).

You are to receive $10,000.00 USD in an installment of $3,500.00 USD Through
    WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER daily and the balance will be transferred to
    your account through the GT Bank UK Ltd.

We have sent you three emails containing the information for pick up, since
    the last two weeks but we did not get any reply from you, hence we are
    sending you this final notification and to let you know that the transaction
    has been deactivated and as such it needs to be reactivated before you can
    access the first payment.

This email contains the senders name and also the MTCN. Put this information
    down and immediately contact Anthony Carmelo on how to get the transaction
    reactivated with a New MTCN number so you can immediately rush down to the
    nearest western union agent to pick up the first payment.

Call or email me with the below details immediately you pick up this first
    payment.

Telephone: +2348157659668
    Mr. Anthony Carmelo
    Manager/Head Of Compensation

Here is the information for the first $3500.00 USD

Senders Name: Patricia Lewis
    Mtcn: 833 010 1111
    Question: Pick
    Answer: Up
    Amount: $3500.00 USD

I am waiting for your call or email once you pick up the $3500.00 USD

Cindy Clara
    Western Union Notification Dept (Nigeria)
    Dear Customer

You are receiving this email because you have been enlisted as one of those
    to be compensated by the Nigerian Government. The Nigerian Government is
    compensating you because your name was enlisted among those who were
    defrauded by the Nigerian Citizens. You are to receive a total sum of
    1,000.000.00 (Two Million British Pounds Sterling).

You are to receive $10,000.00 USD in an installment of $3,500.00 USD Through
    WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER daily and the balance will be transferred to
    your account through the GT Bank UK Ltd.

We have sent you three emails containing the information for pick up, since
    the last two weeks but we did not get any reply from you, hence we are
    sending you this final notification and to let you know that the transaction
    has been deactivated and as such it needs to be reactivated before you can
    access the first payment.

This email contains the senders name and also the MTCN. Put this information
    down and immediately contact Anthony Carmelo on how to get the transaction
    reactivated with a New MTCN number so you can immediately rush down to the
    nearest western union agent to pick up the first payment.

Call or email me with the below details immediately you pick up this first
    payment.

Telephone: +2348157659668
    Mr. Anthony Carmelo
    Manager/Head Of Compensation

Here is the information for the first $3500.00 USD

Senders Name: Patricia Lewis
    Mtcn: 833 010 1111
    Question: Pick
    Answer: Up
    Amount: $3500.00 USD

I am waiting for your call or email once you pick up the $3500.00 USD

Cindy Clara
    Western Union Notification Dept (Nigeria)
    This may help if you want to make an investigation.
    Don’t let this scammers get away.SCAMMING IS A CRIME.

7. I am putting this comment because I was scammed by Mr. Chris James a total amount of of 4300.00. The money was sent to Chris James to Nigeria via Western Union. The data would be available at Western Union. The claim assumed came from Nigerian Government Compensation Department of 250,000.00. Mr James claimed he worked for the compenssion Division.The money was sent to Mr. EGWU Leonjewel Nnannah, 15 Eric Moore, ABUJA State, Nigeria. Thank you.

8. Tom cruise says:

Ei I need help can someone tell me if they wil refund my money I got scam by mr Anthony Carmelo for 10 million dollars were can I contact for refund let me know please